Helping decision makers prioritize where to restore and protect wetlands.
Minnesota wetlands provide a wealth of ecological benefits including water quality and habitat enhancement. Yet, it is estimated that Minnesota has lost over 52 percent of its pre-settlement wetland area and their associated benefits. This tool will aid individuals interested in wetland restoration or protection by:
- Predicting likely locations of restorable wetlands with a statewide restorable wetland inventory.
- Locating highly stressed areas most in need of water quality or habitat improvement.
- Prioritizing areas that already are or are most likely to result in high functioning sustainable wetlands.
- Identifying areas that will provide the greatest benefits in the form of water quality and habitat.
- Refining prioritizations with aerial imagery and available environmental data.